Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Canister damascus

Here are a few of the steps I go through when making damascus using scrap pieces.

The scrap is all 1018 steel and nickel that was cut off of various bits and spurs I've made in the past. I have three buckles to make for a family, and thought it would be a good place to use it since, outside of size and initials, I was kind of given free reign.


The can packed with scrap. I will fill the voids with 1095 powdered steel.
The can is simply a 6 inch piece of 1.5 inch square tubing.

3/16 plate welded air tight on each end completes the can.

Into the forge. I let this stuff soak at welding temperature for about 20 minutes to make sure all the welding inside the can takes place, then draw it out with my forging press and hammer.

Drawn out and ready to make something.

Buckle blanks cut out of the billet above.


I'll show more of these as I get them done. I have several projects going, and may not work on these for a few days, so bear with me.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely keep posting how your progress proceeds!! I'd like to see finished finished projects.

    ReplyDelete