Wednesday, October 19, 2011

finished billet

First, some spurs I finished Sunday

1 piece, 1 1/4" band, 2" shank, 2" 20 point rowel. These went to a pre-conditioning yard in Roscoe, Tx, where they will see a lot of use.

This is a surface grinder attachment for my Wuertz grinder. It has cut my damascus making time in half.( no more hand grinder for this old man) I am a one man show and need all the help I can get.

2 billets, ready to start knives.


  1. Very nice! I appreciate you signing up to follow my blog! Looks like you do some very good work. I've enjoyed looking at how you make everything. I hope you all get the rain you need down there.

  2. Thanks. I enjoy your pictures, the branding was really nice. Gave me an idea or two I'm going to try.

  3. Thank you! Yeah, on the branding thing.....I took the concept of getting their heels in the air, from a guy in Nebraska, who runs a real slick family operation. They brand a lot of cattle with a small crew every year using a small rim like looking wheel, with a vice grip clamp thing attached right behind it.....mounted on a post or on the end of the hay grabbing parts of a hydra-bed. Anyway, short version, don't mean to take up your comment section.

  4. Lots of ways to skin a cat. I've used a pipe fence at the gate section a few times, but it's hard on ropes. I sure like your set up, I will rig something similar before spring. It should save a lot of arguing about who gets to rope and who is the ground crew at home.