Thursday, February 16, 2012

Starting spurs

Maybe this post will help out a friend from Marathon, Texas who is trying to figure out how I make my 1 piece spurs. There are lots of ways to build spurs, and more than one way to build 1 piece spurs. My way is geared around damascus steel, but works using 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick plate.

The pattern

Drawn out, and starting the cuts

Roughed out

Cleaned up and ready to make a spur shape

These are ladies size, and therefore a little smaller than a mans. I split these 3 7/8 inches. The hangers are centered 5/8 of an inch off the end.

I heated at the split with a rosebud tip on my torch, then opened it up using the 3 tools on the vice. They are a 1" chisel, a 1/2" rod, then an 1 3/8" rod.
The reason I use the vice and the rosebud is I have had damascus pull apart at the V. This seems to lessen the chance of this happening. On normal steel it's not a problem, and a forge and anvil can be used.
I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment