Monday, February 6, 2012

Oklahoma spurs

 Jerald Nickels, a custom folding knife builder from Perkins, Oklahoma, spent a few days at the shop last week. He brought a big piece of damascus steel that he had gotten from Alabama damascus  (http://www.alabamadamascussteel.com/servlet/StoreFront ) that we managed to forge into a set of spurs.
Jerald

Starting the profile

Drilling holes

Rowels made

Out of the etch

Finished spurs


This was a very enjoyable project, along with some very enjoyable company. I kept getting caught up in what we were doing, and forgetting to take pictures.
I wished I could do this kind of thing more, as well as travel to other shops. I learned a lot just sitting and talking. It has always amazed me how free every one in the knife, bit, and spur world are with their information and techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment