Saturday, July 30, 2011

How I make damascus spurs








The first picture is how these spurs start out. 1018 steel and pure nickel stacked to 2 x 2 x 4".
Next, into the forge and up to welding temperature.
I use a forging press to draw out the billet, usually to about a foot long on the first draw. I then cut this into 3 pieces, re stack, and do this all over again. The more times I cut, re stack, and re weld, the tighter the pattern. On the last weld, I size the billet to 1/2 thick to start the spurs.
Fourth picture is the billet cleaned up, and ready for the band saw.
I cut my spurs to fairly close to final shape, split the bands, then use progressively bigger round bars to forge the spur bands into spur band shape. I finish the inside and stamp my mark before final shaping with a heel band jig.
I finish the outside, like any body else, using  sanding belts and polishing wheels, except that I soak these in acid to bring out the damascus pattern.
Add silver, and I get the finished spurs.
This is a pretty simplified version of the process, but I am sure you get the idea. For any more information or comments on this process, feel free to contact me any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment