Thursday, December 5, 2013

Stainless damascus and a buckle

Ready for the forge

The place to be this afternoon. Rain, sleet, and a 20 mph wind made for a miserable day.

I ran these out to about a foot long, 1/2 inch thick, I will pattern it, then take it down to the thickness I want

 I forged out 2 billets of 304 stainless and 1018 carbon steel today. It's kind of a pain to do. One must weld all the edges solid to prevent any oxygen from getting inside, then there are no guarantees that that it will forge weld. I soak the billet at welding temperature a little longer than I do normal billets, then pray a lot. I usually regret taking on these projects, but the bits I will make will certainly be one of a kind. I know of no one else who is crazy enough to fool with this stuff. Stay tuned for the end results.


Below is a 1018/nickel damascus buckle with some fine silver inlay. It fits a one inch belt and is heat colored. 600 degrees for about 30 minutes makes the silver and nickel really stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment