Monday, August 13, 2012

Food

I thought this was a good read. It doesn't paint a very pretty picture of the state of agriculture world wide.

http://yanquimike.blogspot.com/2012/08/enter-food-chain.html

I wished I could have answered his last question but I found I don't have any answers.
As far as my area, I think cattlemen, as well as farmers, are going to have to rethink their approach to doing business. The old over graze all summer, feed them all winter may not work anymore. Fewer numbers and making them go longer on native pasture might help. I think the most dangerous thing one  can do is have the mind set of, "well, this is how we have always done it". Try something new, if it doesn't work, you can always switch back. Your going broke anyway what will it hurt. True cattlemen will find some way to ride this drought out.

 I know the government is not the answer. Overall, what have they ever done well but spend money.

I can remember when I was a kid, most poor people had gardens, and the poorer they were, the better their garden was. Gardeners anymore are doing it for a hobby. I know they are a lot of work, but it might beat eating a wish sandwich.

When people get hungry, things turn ugly quick. I hope we don't see it in this country, but it could happen. Very few live where they could grow or raise something to eat, even if they had the skills to do it, and that is a shame.




No comments:

Post a Comment