Sunday, May 27, 2012

In the news

I've been waiting on something like this to crop up.( pun intended )

http://www.naturalnews.com/035964_superweeds_GMO_herbicides.html

All actions have consequences, and I guess super weeds are the result of super crops. I try to stay as close to natural as fiscally possible, both on my pastures and hay meadows. I dislike any chemical application, including chemical fertilizer on my pastures, but sometimes there is no other way to make things work.

http://farmprogress.com/beef-producer-story-are-milk-meat-selection-overemphasized-10-60025

I have been saying this for years. I'll take a smaller, well balanced cow for the long haul.


I can feed these corriente cows for about a 1/3 of what it takes to feed my good cows. They won't bring near as much at the end of there life as a big cow, but the savings over a 10-12 year period more than make up for it. I hold most of the steers through the feed lot, and they feed just fine. I have also found a market for the angus/corriente heifers. They make easy to keep cows.

No comments:

Post a Comment